|Posted by: asm Posted on: 10/11/2010 3:09:26 PM|
Seven tips installing solar panel.
1. Calculate the required load. Lets do a sample calculation.
1. Use deep cycle battery. Deep cycle battery can maintain 12V @ 30% charge level while car battery will drop below 12V @ 50% charge level.
Deep cycle batteries- design to have thicker plates and can discharge up to 80% time after timer. Not like starting batteries "car batteries" which have thin plates can give instant high power.
3. Choosing our Solar Panel.
1. The lower the difference between the battery voltage and the operating Voltage of the panel much better. This is due to the energy transfer efficieny. Bigger mismatch, lower efficiency. If you more money, you can buy MPPT (Maximum Power Point tracker). For economic reason, choose a panel with high efficiency, close to battrey voltage. A Panel with operating voltage between 15-17 V
Inverter rating = 85W/.85 = 100 W rating.
2. In my experience, I prefer to use computer UPS (unterruptable Power Supply) 1000 VA. I do some trick by replacing the battery inside the UPS to my batteries. UPS has installed combination of inverter and voltage regulator.
This will protect from battery overcharging from solar panel charge. In my case, I use my solar energy daily and infact I'm deficit that I need to run my generator. So I don't install charge controller.
Depending on your location, Set the angle of the panel that will get the maximum power from the sun. In my case I set it 20deg tilt facing south. Never interconnect panels with different ratings, it will lower its charge efficiency.
Bookmark this on Delicious
diy solar Says :
Awesome calculator.Do you mind if i link back to this page on my website ?
Posted on: 10/26/2010 7:18:29 AM
asm Says :
@ diy solar : I will be happy to have link back from your site and i think this will also relate into your articles.
Posted on: 10/26/2010 2:25:53 PM
Cirurgia Plastica Says :
Very clear tips. Thanks!
Posted on: 12/15/2010 5:58:52 PM
Ethan Adams Says :
Nice! This will probably help people who are new to solar technology guide them to the installation process quick as a button. :D
Btw have you also encountered a solar car battery charger? If not you might want to take a look at this link for some info hehehe
Posted on: 1/4/2011 12:22:12 AM
automotive updates Says :
Pretty good post. I hope you create more in the future..
Posted on: 2/21/2011 10:15:58 PM
Solar Says :
I just spent a lot of time researching deep cycle batteries in relation to solar. Before just recently, I had no idea they existed. Your tip number 6 is really key as well. Power loss is no fun. Reducing the distance helps to keep the power from escaping.
Posted on: 4/25/2011 8:42:02 PM
BuildHomeSolarPanel Says :
This is a great list.
Informative post, solar panel installation would be difficult if you dont have enough knowledge about it. Once you have one, you can enjoy the benefits and advantages it can give.
Posted on: 5/20/2011 6:58:35 AM
Gas Fires Says :
Wow nice tips, really very helping material, thanks for sharing such a nice idea.
Posted on: 8/9/2011 12:46:29 AM
Related articles :
|Renewable Energy Measurements|
|ImagePlus iPhone App|
|Micro Hydro Power Generator|
|Seven tips installing solar panel.|
|Upgrading my two stroke generator to four stroke|
|How to help save electric energy|
|Renewable power statistics, facts and trivia|
|Solar Sizer Designer|
|Water Tank Monitoring System (Interface parallel port of your PC)|